- Trump is planning to ‘deploy 150 federal agents to Chicago this week’ despite the Mayor declaring ‘we don’t want them’.
- In the last two months the presence of federal agents in Portland – plus allegations they have ‘whisked people away in unmarked cars without probable cause’ – have energised two months of protests. The President is threatening to send federal agents to multiple Democratic controlled cities.
- Legal experts say using federal agents against the will of local officials has set up the potential for a constitutional crisis. It’s almost as if the President is wanting to stress his law/order credentials whilst highlighting trouble in democratic areas!
- After an extraordinary interview with Fox News, Trump signalled a major change in position concerning the coronavirus, accepting ‘things will get worse’ and that ‘I have no problem with the mask’. This was a realisation of Trump’s electoral need to react to a hardening public mood. Analysis here.
- The US ordered China to close its consulate in Houston by Friday ‘in order to protect American intellectual property and Americans’ private information’. The Justice Department also indicted two Chinese hackers of hacking into US companies researching covid-19. Analysts expect China to respond by ordering an American consulate to close.
- Being more aggressive to China has support ‘across the political divide’ in America and thus expect Trump to try to outflank Biden in becoming more ‘anti-Sino’. Expect Biden to respond claiming he can challenge China in a more competent way.
%d bloggers like this: