Summary of the week’s campaign:
- Another record for coronavirus cases on Wednesday with more than 59,400 infections.
Is this a problem for Trump? Yes. The cases are rising fastest in key swing states that he won in 2016: Florida, Arizona and South Carolina. Trump’s gamble to reopen to save the economy in time for the election is backfiring: 63% of Americans believe recovery will take a year or more.
- Reaction to Trump’s Mnt. Rushmore speech reflected the polarisation within America that will make interpreting this campaign so difficult.
- MSNBC’s Mike Barnacle wrote that ‘Duplicity is his principle tool as he feasts on resentment within those frightened by the other’.
- Fox News’ host Tucker Carlson: ‘it was road map for the country itself. Decency, pride in our nation’.
Key Lines from the speech:
- ‘Our founders launched a revolution in the pursuit of justice, equality, liberty, prosperity. Began the unstoppable march of freedom. This left-wing cultural revolution is designed to overthrow the American Revolution.’
- We are ‘witnessing a campaign to wipe out our history and indoctrinate our children. Angry mobs are trying to tear down statues of our Founders. They think the American people are weak. But no, the American people will not allow our country to be taken from them.’